Resources / Teaching & Academia

If you want to work in a primary or secondary school, you will need to obtain state registration. For example, in Victoria it is Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) registration.

They will be able to explain the process and prerequisites, one of which is a very high IELTS score – good luck.

To work in the vocational education sector, you will need to check the requirements for each state. In Victoria, you are required to have a Certificate IV in Training and Assessment before you can be employed as a VET/TAFE teacher. This is a short course and relatively easy to obtain, but a requirement nevertheless. A Working with Children check is also often required.

For university positions – tutor, lecturer, researcher, etc. – it’s better to make direct contact with an academic from your field who will be able to advise on opportunities in tutoring or scholarships. Try to find the most relevant people in your area of expertise. If they are not able to offer you anything, ask for advice on what you should do to increase your chances of securing employment. Don’t be afraid to get out there and talk to people. Academics are very accessible via their university websites. You will usually receive a prompt reply to a professional, concise email.